Getting started in Canvas this semester? You might have some of these Frequently Asked Questions.
- How do I put my migrated course materials into the course shell with my student enrollments?
- I have multiple sections of the same course. Do I need to update material in all those different places?
- Can students see my course materials?
- How do I take attendance in Canvas?
- Can I clean up or customize my Dashboard?
- How do I set up extra time or extra attempts for students with accommodations?
A: Export your migrated course. After you’ve downloaded the Canvas Course Export Package (an .imscc file), open your regular course shell, and import your course, choosing the export package from your Downloads file.
A: You must publish your course for enrolled students to see it. On the Home page of your course, check whether the Course Status says Published or Unpublished. Before publishing, you may want to use Student View to double-check what students can see. (Note: Kaltura videos do not display in Student View, but they will display for real students just fine.) You may want to set availability dates on your quizzes and/or assignments. You may want to schedule file availability. Setting those restrictions enables students to see that the assignments and files exist, with any corresponding due dates. It prevents them from seeing the content of the assignments, files, and quizzes.
A: If your course requires taking attendance, you may want to use the Roll Call Attendance Tool. You don’t need to set up the dates in advance. Simply take attendance on days that class meets.
A: You can set your courses to different colors and/or give them nicknames. You can also display only certain courses.